- Events and Courses
- Webinar: Slow Drilling Protocol: The Practical Considerations and Evidence Base for This Osteotomy Preparation Technique
Webinar: Slow Drilling Protocol: The Practical Considerations and Evidence Base for This Osteotomy Preparation Technique
18 May 2021
Download Event to Calendar
Presented by: Aly Virani
Host: Anthony Cooper
Date: 18 May 2021
Conventional osteotomy preparation is no longer the only method routinely used by implantologists. Other techniques such as osseodensification and slow drilling have gained popularity more recently. Although the evidence base, technique and benefits are widely discussed for the other methods, the lack of commercial interest means that we are less frequently exposed to the benefits of the slow drilling technique. Some of our colleagues have understood and been using a slow drilling technique for many years and swear by it - this is not a new concept. I aim to share my reading and experience with this technique and hope that the connections that I make between bone physiology theory and our daily clinical practice will be of use to you.
- To discuss the evidence base behind safe temperatures for osteotomy preparation
- To explore the biological effects of surpassing these temperature thresholds
- To discuss other methods of osteotomy preparation and their applications
- To understand the rationale behind using a slow drilling technique
- To discuss how slow drilling could be an effective adjunct in guided surgery
- To demonstrate the practical considerations for implementing a slow drilling protocol
- To evaluate the aerosol generation and potential implications as implant dentistry operates under the constraints of the COVID-19 pandemic
BDS (Hons), MJDF RCS (Eng) Dip Imp Dent RCS Ed
Implant Dentist & Clinical Director at North Cardiff Dental & Implants
Aly Virani is a graduate of Cardiff University and holds a Diploma in Implant Dentistry from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. His practice of dentistry is focused solely on the placement and restoration of dental implants.
Before leaving to dedicate all of his clinical time to implant dentistry in 2019, Aly previously spent 5 years working in Cardiff as a general dental practitioner with a particular interest in Implantology and Periodontology at a private specialist practice.
From 2013-2019, Aly also worked as a Clinical Research Fellow and a Clinical Lecturer at Bristol Dental Hospital, University of Bristol. He was also involved with undergraduate teaching & training of Periodontology and has assisted with practical instruction on the Masters Programme in Implantology.
Aly is currently an elected representative on the executive committee of the Independent Dental Association Wales and an ambassador for the Young ITI (International Team for Implantology). He has held a position on the board of directors of the Association of Dental Implantology (ADI), where he was the Welsh Representative from 2015-2017. He is a Member of the Joint Dental Faculties of the Royal College of Surgeons (England) and remains an active member of the Association of Dental Implantology. He continues to lecture (and learn!) in the national forum.
Aly currently spends his time travelling between three dental practices; his newly acquired practice (North Cardiff Dental & Implants), The Mayhill Dental & Specialist Centre (an independent practice in Monmouth) and Portman’s Hereford Dental & Implant Clinic.
← Other events