Dr Joseph Kan DDS MS
Dr Kan completed Prosthodontics and Implant Surgery from Loma Linda University School of Dentistry. He is a Professor and maintains a private practice. He is on the Editorial Board of The International Journal of Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry, and The European Journal of Esthetic Dentistry.Dr Kan's honours include the Best Research Award from the Academy of Osseointegration in 1997, the Judson Hinckey Award from the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry in 2003, and the Robert James Implant Achievement Award in 2005. Besides lecturing nationally and internationally, he has published over 70 articles in reference journals and chapters in textbooks with emphasis on periodontal tissue management and treatment planning on implant aesthetics
ADI Masterclass Synopsis
Achieving anterior implant aesthetics is a challenging and demanding procedure. To create implant restorations with harmonious gingival contour that emulate nature is a science and art. Understanding the biological and physiological limitations of the soft and hard tissue will facilitate predictability in the whole spectrum of situations
This one-day presentation is designed for Periodontists, Restorative Dentists, Prosthodontists, Oral Maxillofacial Surgeons, Implantologists and Laboratory Technicians focusing on current implant treatment philosophies and methodologies for replacing currently missing teeth and the management of patients who will be losing a tooth or teeth in the aesthetic zone. It will also chronicle the presenter’s 16 years of experience in anterior implant aesthetics; what we know, what we do not know, and what we think we know.
Emphasis will be placed on the diagnosis and treatment planning, surgical, prosthetic and orthodontic management of soft and hard tissue for optimal anterior implant aesthetics from simple to complex aesthetic situations; long term follow-ups documenting success and failures of immediate and delayed implant placements; and reliability of bone and soft tissue grafting.
At the end of the course delegates will have a knowledge of the following:
- Prognostic keys for predictable aesthetic implant treatment
- Immediate vs. delayed vs. early placements: indications, contraindications, advantages and drawbacks
- Management of the implant socket gap
- Bone and soft tissue grafting concepts
- Management of inter-implant papilla
- Papilla regeneration: does it work?
- Implant gingival recession; aetiology and treatment solutions
- Management of surgical and prosthetic complications
- Management of interdisciplinary cases (using Ortho, Perio and Prosthodontics)
- Provisionalisation (contour for optimal gingival aesthetics)
- Computer guided esthetic treatment planning and surgery: benefits and potential pitfalls